September 5, 2011

Basium Pro Jesu (A Kiss for Jesus)

"Look-look-look!" I whispered fiercely to my toddler as he struggled up on tiptoes on the kneeler to see Father holding up the host during the consecration at Mass today.

"Look!  See?  See that little circle?  That's Jesus!  Father's holding up Jesus!"  And then I whispered in my son's ear, "We love you, Jesus!" and surreptiously blew Jesus a kiss across the church, a gesture my son generously bestows on everyone he loves.  Eagerly, he mimicked me.

Then my little daughter blew the moment right out of the water.  "Mom!" she breathed urgently.  "I have to go potty!"

Young-daughter and toddler-son in tow, we crept quickly to bathroom, where an intercom system enabled us to continue to listen to Mass.  My son froze, eyes wide, fascinated.

"Who dat!?" he gasped.  Then inspiration lit his face.  "Dat Jesus!  We love you, Jesus!" he screeched as he happily blew a kiss to the wind.

Oh, from the proverbial precious mouths of babes!  Thank you, Lord, for this moment of unabashed loving joy!

"You did not give me a kiss, but this woman, from the time I entered, has not stopped kissing my feet." (Luke 7:45)



No comments: