August 3, 2012

Famous Thoughts: Faith in Times of Trial

I recently received this e-mail message from a friend, and couldn't have phrased her niece's nor her sentiments any better, in terms of remaining faithful in times of trial.  Thank you, Christine!


Dear faithful prayer warriors -- Thank you!

Your prayers for my niece in Oklahoma were answered abundantly! One year ago, she foolishly chased after her irate boyfriend, fell beneath his truck, and was run over as he backed up. She has not only survived a crushed pelvis and many other injuries, she has gained a deep faith and understanding! She has come home, healed her relationship with her mother and God, found a full time job teaching dance at a Christian dance studio, and is being a wonderful mother to her two young children. Wow, Lord. Wow!

Here is her posting this morning from Facebook:

It was one year ago today that my life was changed forever. I experienced the greatest pain I have ever known (and yes... getting run over by a deisel truck hurts more than childbirth). But as strange as it sounds, I am glad that it happened. God had to break my body to heal my soul, and bring me into a place in my life where I am happier than I have ever been! So to anyone out there who is enduring hardships, have faith! He has a plan!

Just thought you'd like to know :-)

Blessings,

Christine
Let's read that again, folks:

"God had to break my body to heal my soul." 

Isn't that beautiful?  And sooooo true?

Isn't that what He does to us?  St. Teresa of Avila famously said, "Lord, if this is how you treat your friends, no wonder you have so few."  She suffered numerous long-term physical and spiritual trials.

Isn't that what He does for us?  C.S. Lewis famously said, "You don't have a soul.  You are a soul.  You have a body."  Jesus sacrificed everything and truly is present in the tabernacle and on the altar, Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity.  Isn't that what it takes, the whole enchilada, body and soul?  Even for God?

Isn't that true of suffering and sacrifice for all of us?  My father famously said, "Maria, you never know what people are going through."  Everyone is suffering in some way.  It's the human condition.  No one's life is without trial.  Physical suffering can affect your spiritual life, and spiritual suffering can affect your physical health.

I don't know what suffering, insult, challenge, difficulty, hurdle, or otherwise seemingly insurmountable trial you secretly are enduring right now, big or small.

But I do know that God ALWAYS is faithful.
He ALWAYS is with you.
And He ALWAYS will strengthen you.

Isn't that why He's there?  To try us like gold in the furnace (Proverbs 17:3), and then lift us from the flames, so we are fit to join Him in our ultimate destination of Heaven?  Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta famously said, "I know God won't give me anything I can't handle.  I just wish He didn't trust me so much."

God might be testing you, but He also is trusting you.  Trusting, hoping, knowing that you will exercise your free will and remain faithful to Him, even in the face of trial.

Remember, He made you!  And why did He make you?  To know, love, and serve Him in this world and to be happy with Him forever in Heaven.

And that's what life is all about, Charlie Brown.





No comments: