February 24, 2015

My Favorite Animal

So, after our first-ever field trip to the zoo, I overheard my toddler son telling one of his older siblings:

"My favorite land animal is a lion.  My favorite ocean animal is a shark.  And my favorite sky animal is a reindeer."

Ah.  I see.

Actually, I do see.  Now I think I understand why Jesus said, “Amen, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven," (Matthew 18:3).  My young, believing son accepted without question that reindeer are sky animals, because he heard it from me, his most trusted authority.  What more trusted authority is there ever than The Author of Life Himself?  We must, with the absolute acceptance of a small child, believe in the Lord, believe what He tells us, and unquestioningly put it into practice in our lives.

Every day.  Okay?

(This is the point at which you cue the squealing breaks sound....)

Wait a minute.  Really?  Do you really think it's that easy to just do what Jesus says?  Every day!?

No.  Of course not.  (I might like to pretend I'm Wonder Woman when we're playing Superheroes, but in reality, of course, I'm not.)

However, my little son's easy, unblinking acceptance that reindeer can fly, and his assimilation of that fact into his own daily life, was a tiny microcosm for me of the way Christ's example, words, and teachings can seep into our lives and change the way we see the things around us each day, even making us believe that which seems utterly unbelievable.

(Bread and wine are flesh and blood?  Really?  And you're supposed to eat that?  Really!?)

Yes.  Really.

I'm not saying that I nor anyone else I know can turn saintly, day and night, on a dime.  I am, however, saying that your unique life, when viewed purposefully through the prism of Christ's love for His creation (which is all around you and includes YOU), can immediately bring peace to a troubled soul, joy to a despairing heart, and order to a restless mind.  "The eyes of the LORD roam over the whole earth, to encourage those who are devoted to him wholeheartedly," (II Chronicles 16:9, my italic emphasis added).

Serve Him wholeheartedly.  With all of yourself.  In every situation.

Remember:

Who made us?  God made us.

Why did God make us?  God made us to know Him, to love Him, and to serve Him in this world and to be happy with Him for ever in heaven (Baltimore Catechism, No. 1, Question 6).

God wants you to be a part of His glorious eternity.  Forever!  Believe it!

But, first we have to schlog through this messy little thing called, "life."  It ain't always glamorous, but in the end, if we truly believe and seek His Presence and Purpose in every situation, you will be well on your way along the path to Heaven, thanks to your trusting and believing in Him like a little child -- completely and without question.

I'm not saying don't ask Him any questions.  I am saying, for starters, just believe.  Just.  Believe.  And let your belief and trust in Him be reflected in everything you do.

Then, "You shall be a glorious crown in the hand of the LORD, a royal diadem in the hand of your God," (Isaiah 62:3).

No comments: