August 19, 2011

In Caelum (On Heaven)

So you wanna hear today's giggle from my monkeys?  We were in the van and the subject of "paradise" came up.  "What's paradise?" my young son asked.  "Some people think it's heaven," my little daughter immediately replied, and then excitedly continued, "And some people think it's Hawaii!"

My daughter also got a stunner this weekend when she had to use a one-room, unisex bathroom with her younger brother and my husband, and saw for the first time a urinal on the wall.  "What's that!?" she asked, looking concerned as she pointed at the urinal.  My son (fresh from his experience of "pee-ing like a man" for the first time on the Blue Knights camping trip with Daddy) grinned proudly and said, "That's for me and Dad.  We can pee standing up!"

My daughter looked horrified.  "You mean like an animal!?" she gasped.

The blessing of animals traditionally takes place in autumn, as the Feast of St. Francis of Assisi is October 4th.  St. Francis's love of all God's animals is well-documented, particularly in his "Canticle of the Creatures."

No comments: