August 4, 2011

Lacrima Pro Vereor (Tears for Fears)

So once again, one of my kids found her suuuuuuuuffering unimaginably interminable.  You know, one of those hand-to-the-forehead, drama queen, "Woooooooooe is me!" moments (*sigh*).

"Offer it up!" I quipped (for the forty-eleventh time).  This remark was met with a blank look, which definitely would have been an eye-roll-look, if eye-rolls-at-adults were allowed in our house.  Which.  They.  Are.  Not.

"Offer it up for the souls in purgatory," I continued.  "Pick a soul," I added, just to make it interesting.  "Pick the soul who needs one more prayer to get out.  Pick the one at the end of the line who'll be locking up.  Pick the youngest soul, the oldest soul, the tallest soul, the skinniest soul, the soul who has absolutely no one to pray for him, the soul with a wart on his nose, the soul with the horsey laugh....." and on I went with ever-more ridiculous characteristics, hoping to lighten my daughter's mood.

It worked.  My wee banshee began to giggle and happily went about her assigned task, which moments ago had been the proverbial bane of her immediate existence.

But then my little son, just stood there looking thoughtful, then slightly concerned.  "I'd pick the youngest soul," he said, tears beginning to pool in his large dark eyes.  "Because he might be a little afraid to be there."

My heart dropped, my throat closed up, and I dropped to my knees on our kitchen floor to hug both these kids and thank God for them, praying we all actually might make it to heaven together some day after all.

This was a moment just too good not to share!

"He then took up a collection among all his soldiers, amounting to two thousand silver drachmas, which he sent to Jerusalem to provide for an expiatory sacrifice. In doing this he acted in a very excellent and noble way, inasmuch as he had the resurrection of the dead in view; for if he were not expecting the fallen to rise again, it would have been useless and foolish to pray for them in death.  But if he did this with a view to the splendid reward that awaits those who had gone to rest in godliness, it was a holy and pious thought.  Thus he made atonement for the dead that they might be freed from this sin."  (2 Maccabees 12:43-45)


No comments: