June 13, 2017
Sacred Heart and St. Margaret Mary Alacoque
Tomorrow (June 14th), you can begin a Novena to the Sacred Heart, the understanding and image of which was revealed to a Visitation nun, St. Margaret Mary Alacoque.
St. Margaret Mary Alacoque was born a cripple in France in 1647. She was cured miraculously by the Blessed Virgin Mary and, in thanksgiving, promised to give her life in service to God.
When St. Margaret Mary was seventeen, Jesus appeared to her as He was just after being scourged. She immediately entered the Order of the Visitation.
St. Margaret Mary loved our Lord in the Blessed Sacrament very much, and later was shown His Sacred Heart in four visions. His heart is surrounded by flames, which represent His burning love for us and His desire to be loved in return. The crown of thorns remind us of His ultimate sacrifice for our sins.
Jesus revealed to St. Margaret Mary twelve promises of ways in which He would help those who honor His Sacred Heart. He said to her: "Look at this Heart which has loved people so much, and yet they do not want to love Me in return. Through you My Divine Heart wishes to spread its love everywhere on earth."
St. Margaret Mary died in 1690. Her Feast Day is October 16th.
The 12 PROMISES for THOSE DEVOTED to the SACRED HEART:
1. I WILL GIVE THEM ALL THE GRACES NECESSARY FOR THEIR STATE OF LIFE.
2. I WILL GIVE PEACE IN THEIR FAMILIES.
3. I WILL CONSOLE THEM IN ALL THEIR TROUBLES.
4. THEY SHALL FIND IN MY HEART AN ASSURED REFUGE DURING LIFE AND ESPECIALLY AT THE HOUR OF DEATH.
5. I WILL POUR ABUNDANT BLESSINGS ON ALL THEIR UNDERTAKINGS.
6. SINNERS SHALL FIND IN MY HEART THE SOURCE AND INFINITE OCEAN OF MERCY.
7. TEPID SOULS SHALL BECOME FERVENT.
8. FERVENT SOULS SHALL SPEEDILY RISE TO GREAT PERFECTION.
9. I WILL BLESS THE HOMES IN WHICH THE IMAGE OF MY SACRED HEART SHALL BE EXPOSED AND HONORED.
10. I WILL GIVE TO PRIESTS THE POWER TO TOUCH THE MOST HARDENED HEARTS.
11. THOSE WHO PROPAGATE THIS DEVOTION SHALL HAVE THEIR NAME WRITTEN IN MY HEART, AND IT SHALL NEVER BE EFFACED.
12. I PROMISE THEE IN THE EXCESS OF THE MERCY OF MY HEART, THAT ITS ALL-POWERFUL LOVE WILL GRANT TO ALL THOSE WHO SHALL RECEIVE COMMUNION ON THE FIRST FRIDAY OF NINE CONSECUTIVE MONTHS THE GRACE OF FINAL REPENTANCE; THEY SHALL NOT DIE UNDER MY DISPLEASURE, NOR WITHOUT RECEIVING THE SACRAMENTS; MY HEART SHALL BE THEIR ASSURED REFUGE AT THAT LAST HOUR.